Thursday, January 20, 2005

New Year Update

Well it has been a while between posts this time round but I have just been so flat out with work and staying on top of home life that I haven't been able to get here to write. I can say the recovery is steady although it seems to have plateaued for the moment. I now need to be very careful about managing my time and involvement in things very tightly to ensure I can cope with the rigours of my now semi-rigorous life.

Helathwise I have had a mini crash for one day in the first week of the new year. This came on top of stepping up to a 20 hour a week work commitment, Christmas, a temporary move of residence to a holiday destination, and a weekend of guests over the new year period. Pretty active no question. But after that crash I bounced back quickly and had no further dramas until this last week where I had a nasty little cold/flu/virus which increased my vulnerability to the depression symptoms. So here I am after 1am doing an update! In all it has caused me to miss one day of work, miss 4-5 days of home duties, and throw my sleep out - its the depression symptoms for sure but its due to the cold making me a little more vulnerable.

The good thing has been I have been able to remain fairly upbeat despite this little setback in my health. I am getting a little frustrated with myself and not being able to fulfill my roles at home and in the work place but this is nowhere near the elevated levels I have faced in the past and I am very much at peace with myself at the same time.

I can now say more confidently that the optimism I had that the worst of my depression had passed is proving to be well founded. I am feeling this way depsite some of the setbacks along the way. From a perspective that had been quite bleak for most of 2004 I am feeling quite optimistic about 2005.

I am still bursting on the inside to have the time and energy to write about the things that I floated in my december posts but I am just unable to do that. I just can't be confident of managing my active roles in the work force and at home as well as keeping up the pace of writing that I had in the final months of 2004.

A parting thought:
Now that I have the necessary support around me (family, friends, medical, pastoral etc.) and have been able to stabilise the feeling of crisis in my life with their help I am finding more and more that I have to consciously manage my energy levels as this now seems to have the largest bearing on my well being.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I came across your blog while searching for personal depression related pages.... I myself suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and GAD. Mental illness runs in my family, and because of this, has always been a personal intrest area for me.

Hopefully you don't think of this as a form of advertisement, but I couldn't find a link to email you privately.

I have created a depression support board, and was
wondering if you'd be interested in joining it to
provide support to others who are going through this
illness or to even vent your own feelings. Or if you'd
even like to link it on your
page, i'd be happy to link back to you. Its a new
board, so theres really not many members right now,
but i'm trying to find ways to get members to post and
return.... the URL is
http://s2.invisionfree.com/these_eyes

I hope you'll stop by and let me know what you think

Thanks alot and take care
EA

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home